Welp, Lent is over please don’t go get fat now. I know some of you including myself can’t wait till Easter to pig out on whatever food fat people eat that you sacrificed in the hopes to resurrect your abs. Here’s a savory low calorie dish that will keep you continuing on whatever fat free pilgrimage you are on.
Here’s how you make it!
- First, prepare sauce by mixing together all sauce ingredients except cornstarch. Prepare the cornstarch and water mixture in a separate cup or bowl. Set both aside.
- Break the head of cauliflower up and chop up mushrooms.
- Place 2-3 Tbsp. oil to a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, half of the garlic, pepper flakes, and cauliflower. Reserve the rest of the garlic for later.
- Stir-fry for 5 minutes. When the wok or frying pan becomes dry, add a little of the water (a few Tbsp. at a time) – enough to keep the ingredients frying nicely.
- Add 2 Tbsp. soy sauce and continue stir-frying for 5 more minutes, or till cauliflower becomes tender then add mushrooms. Add a little more water when the pan becomes too dry (up to 1/4 cup).
- When the cauliflower and mushrooms are soft, add the rest of the garlic plus the sauce. Stir fry to incorporate.
- Lastly, in a separate sauce pan or empty wok add the sauce mixture and cornstarch/water mixture. Stir well so that the sauce thickens uniformly (this will only take a minute or less). Remove from heat.
- Taste test the cauliflower & mushroom for (sea) salt. If not salty enough, it’s prefect to drizzle the sauce over it. If too salty, add 1 Tbsp. lime juice (or substitute 1 Tbsp. lemon juice).
- Now add 3/4 of the fresh basil, stirring briefly to incorporate.
- Slide onto a serving platter and sprinkle the rest of the basil over top. Serve with long grain brown rice (stir-fry rice in olive oil, soy sauce and parsley and basil.) Enjoy!