For me to be in my 8th year of vegetarianism, forever on a diet and afraid of food and its effect on my clothing in general- I eat pretty good. Amongst the many amazing things I am, I’m also a brilliant chef. I’m always proving to people you can lead a healthy life and eat well/better than your average “meateater.”
Last Christmas (yeah that was the last time I remember being hungry) I purchased two vegetarian cookbooks, one being “3 in 1 Vegetarian Cookbook (Favorite Brand Name 3 Books in 1).” Finally putting it to use I was thinspired by the Portobella Mushroom Burger recipe in the sandwiches & wraps section (pg. 224).
Being a fabulous chef like myself is all about putting your own spin it. Instead of the mushroom being the pattie as in the book I made it the buns, opted broiled over stir-fry for cooking the ingredients and I added a few more ingredients than the original recipe.
Here’s what I did…
1. Preheat broiler
2. Cut and slice bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, and tomato.
3. Then place along with Amy’s pattie and mushrooms on cookie sheet wrap with foil.
4. Season with sea salt, pepper corn, basil and seasoned salt. Drizzle olive oil over all. Sprinkle sesame seeds on mushrooms.
5. Broil for 4 minutes per side.
6. Combine mayo, garlic and basil in a bowl. *Lemon juice & white vinegar optional*
7. Assemble burgers spreading the mayo mix on the mushroom-buns, then pattie and veggies with a bit of fresh chopped kale.
Serve with pickles and sweet potato fries.